What are thigh gaps and why you probably aren’t going to get one from weight loss
If you have been apart of tumblr for long enough or have wanted to lose weight at some point while on tumblr you’d notice a lot of blogs in the “thinspiration” community have a desire for thigh gaps.
What is a thigh gap you may ask? Essentially it’s a gap between a persons thighs, preferably desired by women.
Why do people want one?
Chances are if you are trying to get one by losing weight for whatever reason then you may not be able to get it.
“BUT WHY?!” you may cry. Very simple, my dear person. It’s all about your skeleton.
You cannot change the structure of your skeleton very easily (and it would be painful if you could. For example: child birth)
Some people are naturally able to have a thigh gap at a certain size, but that doesn’t automatically mean that you have to very thin. People who are at different sizes can have them but can every fit/thin person have one? No
Fact of the matter is that you probably won’t get one and it’s not a big deal. You don’t die if you don’t have one, and no one really cares about them as much as you do persons-who-want-a-thigh-gap-who-is-reading-this. Well, unless you’re this guy
There are two main reasons for why you probably won’t get one even if you lose weight.
One reason why you won’t get one is because of your hips. If you have narrow hips it’ll be a bit harder to obtain. Here are some examples
You can’t really change your genetics or bone structure…so…
Although, some of you might be thinking “fuck yeah! I have wide hips I’m going to get a thigh gap!!”
Sorry but that also might not be the case. The second reason for why you probably won’t get one is because of your legs. Let me explain a bit.
This is what the leg bones look like when you’re standing
So because your femurs are going in-ward like the image above it would be difficult to obtain a thigh gap even if you have wide hips. Also considering that you also have muscle, skin, fat, veins, around your bones to make, well, legs. It would be hard to achieve it. You need these things to you know, move.
Also remember that people on tumblr stick out their butts, straighten their legs, bending forward with their heels apart, or stand with their feet wider apart for the illusion for a thigh gap in these photos. So really, if they can’t have one naturally what’s the chances of you having one? Here is a great example
If you’re worried about chafing then a quick google search will show you that there are ways to remedy one without achieving a thigh gap. Remember that sometimes every-ones skin is different as well. Some are more or less sensitive than others. So having a thigh gap isn’t an automatic answer to not have any chafing. Many people in my life don’t have thigh gaps and they have no issues with rashes or chafing.
If you’re still wanting a thigh gap despite of what I said you can get one easily by standing like peter pan and walk like that for the rest of your life.
Which goes to show that a thigh gap can be very relative of how you stand.
If you’re still wanting a thigh gap because you see models and other girls in the media having one just remember that the super thin body type portrayed by women in the media only effects 5% of the population. The standards are only getting tighter since 20 years ago models weighed 8% less than a healthy weight and now it’s 23% less than a healthy weight.
Why throw away your health to try and obtain something that most people don’t naturally have? You’re in trouble if you’re going to forgo your health for the sake of something that isn’t obtainable by most human standards.
I really couldn’t agree with this more it kills me to look throughout tumblr and find so many girls putting their health on the line for things that are both determined via genetics and bone structure. Daily I see girls who are smaller than me in both size and shape post photos of themselves saying they need to lose weight to attain a thigh gap, to get rid of their ‘hip dip’ and get rid of their lower back dimples. When I first started seeing all of these phrases being used I actually had to google what they were. I had no idea and honestly I scoffed and was incredibly repulsed by what I discovered. The Internet was quick to inform me that all these things were problem areas for women that could be corrected with weight loss. I’d like to take a moment to point out to all those people who have ever messaged me, liked one of my photos or commented saying they wished they had my body or were as skinny as me that firstly, I have what’s called a hip dip and I can assure you that there is no excess fat on my hips I always assumed that the reason I had one was because of A: my bone structure, B: my lack of ass and C: being thin. I have those two little dimples on my lower back too and unless I arch my back when I’m standing or stand with my feet apart I don’t have a thigh gap.
I have a small waist, long scrawny arms, short legs, strangly shaped knees, larger breasts, thighs and calves in proportion to the rest of my body and no ass. I have hip dips, lower back dimples and unless I stand a certain way no thigh gap because this is the way my body is, this is the way genetics have created me, this is my bone structure and they have made me entirely individual, entirely unique and this body is entirely my own. I am proud of it even if I have my days where I hate it. I love it because it is what it is, it is the way I was intended to be, it does what it’s meant to do and it’ll be with me for the rest of my life.
I see so many people strive to be different and quirky while slowly destroying the one and only body they’ll ever have trying to obtain the ‘perfect body image’. Everyone is different, your bone structure and genetics will determine the way you look and what your body can achieve. Work with what you’ve got and people will start saying they’d kill to have it but really the most important thing is to be happy, healthy and to strive to love yourself and what you’ve been given why waste the best years of your life hating yourself? Let it go.
Look in the mirror and smile with the knowledge that there is no one else out there that looks exactly the same as you do beneath your clothes. You are unique. You are one of a kind, you don’t look like everybody else and that, my love, makes you the most beautiful thing in the world.
“Dog Eat Dog” is a short film based on the true story of how actor/producer Zachary Quinto finally adopted his first dog in a Los Angeles Animal Shelter. During the events of his hilarious trials in attempting to adopt a shelter animal, Sian Heder, the film’s director was there by his side. Taking notes. [x]
all 46 excuses on my friends wall,
1. i was just really, really early for tomorrow
2. we can’t all be usain bolt
3. in this day and age, we shouldn’t need labels like “late”
4. i had pe first period do you blame me
5. i really, really didn’t want to sing
6. my brother thought it would be hilarious to drop me outside the prison gates
7. you can’t tell me how to live my life
9. my legs fell off and i had to roll all the way to the emergency clinic
10. there was a freak yachting accident
11. i am a fucking retard
12. this is just for my wall
13. do you even read these
14. “it does not matter how slow you go, so long as you do not stop”
15. i spent my entire night writing tom daley fanfiction
16. my father left my mother for an air hostess seven years ago do you expect me to get over that emotional trauma overnight
17. sarah palin and i got into a twitter war and i couldn’t leave and let her win
18. traffic jammy jammy jam
19. how can i go to school when alex turner
20. my sim was having an emotional meltdown and i needed to be there for her
21. i was sticking it to the man
22. i spent my entire night worrying if i would ever lose my virginity
23. fifty shades of late; i was walking and then i caught the eye of an attractive member of the opposite sex and we began exchanging significant looks and i knew we would one day make sweet love so i just walked alongside him and tried to catch his eye and to be continued
24. part two he was playing hard to get so we walked and walked and he had the perfect hair colour it was sort of beige brown anyway it turned out he was walking to a bus stop so obviously i had to catch the bus because true love and silently we rode out to papakura and into the sunset
25. my meth lab caught fire
26. my bed is more comfortable than your school will ever be
27. i was sad
28. it was a nice day, so i walked leisurely
29. i had beat my younger brother for saying “swag”
30. i had to travel back to the 1950’s to ensure my birth
31. 2 kool 4 scool
32. i had to stop, collaborate and listen
33. i tried
34. i’m sorry i’m late
it’s not my fault
my auntie was killed
and i joined a cult
35. a haiku about lateness:
late late late late late
late late late late late late late
late late late late late
36. my best friend was telling me how to give a satisfactory blow job i wish i was joking
37. i was fashionably late
38. i was caught in a flash mob true story omfg
39. i did not choose the late life, the late life chose me
45. i was fighting al qaeda
YESSSS IT’S ON MY DASHBOARD AGAIN